Ruby - The 1971 Ex Army VW Kombi Lowlight
Introducing Ruby, a 1971 Ex-Army VW Kombi Lowlight microbus that was one of 9 Kombis that we purchased from Steve Muller of Kombi Rescue back in 2012. I knew this one was special when we started lifting up the floor and the paint was still shiny like the day it left the factory. Until now she has been waiting for a new owner with the right vision and a budget to restore her to something better than new.
I enjoy posting the before photos, to give some kind of benchmark that indicates where we started. So far we have spent a couple of days removing the glass, headlining, seats, seals and electrics. What blows me away is that this 42 year old car has no rust in any of the window sills, door steps or the usual spots where you expect them to fall apart. Just a bit of rust in the passenger door and above the rear wheel arch.
She has been prepared and marked out for the sandblaster, to ensure that there are no hidden nasties in those hard to reach places. The next stage will see us begin the repairs and priming while her new owners struggle to finalise the instructions for her final look and finish. We already have a well tuned 1600 engine with a twin exhaust that should slot right in the back. Stay tuned!!
Join our Facebook Page to receive exclusive updates & discounts!
Recent blog posts
- How to Restore an 1971 Ex Army VW Kombi Lowlight - Earl
- A Day on the Green with Orange Crush
- Do VW Kombis really catch fire and why?
- Orange Crush - A 79 Camper restoration
- Ruby - The 1971 Ex Army VW Kombi Lowlight
- Betty Blue - The Lowered 1.8 Litre Twin Exhaust VW Kombi
- Betty Blue
- Black Betty... No Wait! How about Betty Blue?
- The Eagle has landed - VW Kombi 72 Lowlight
- Harold, the VW Kombi Microbus